Wednesday, December 30, 2009

11.8.59

The Hongkong and Shanghai BC
Jesselton


Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter - London have not confirmed that they have bought my BMC shares although markings were well below my bid - I expect them to go to 18/- when the strike is over and the small car is on the market - others being equal, 1 to 2 years. Alan's holiday was very extensive - lucky about the brakes, it must have been a tricky experience. I don't understand why British cars should boil! Something add here, engine oil could be too heavy - there are some specially light oils on the market now - height might account for it. Did the car boil when in motion or when stopped? If on a long run here and I have to stop I leave the engine running - otherwise without the fan working the engine heats up too much. The children have turned over a dozen new leaves at once. Our new Amah has arrived, quite young, good English very cheerful and can handle them expertly. It is a great relief and both Caroline and Adrienne are much better. Caroline is due for school next year although Margo still has not passed her test. The previous failers have put her off the whole business though no doubt it will be completed in due course. Dorothy & Donald sent a knife spoon fork set for Susan - it was very good of them to do so.

The manager has just returned from opening our new office in SIBU in Sarawak, we now have 9 throughout Borneo. I believe things are pretty rugged up there. Our main interest I believe is in bauxite and of course, there is pepper. The Ghurkas put on a lively show last night, beating the retreat. We took Caroline along and she enjoyed the desplay very much. I pitied the chaps marching up and down for so long, it was a very sticky evening and I was very wet from sitting still. Of the enclosed photos we have had two enlarged for framing and the one of Adrienne & Susan with Caroline in the background is most successful blown up about 10 times. If you are interested I'll send the negative as I do not think the actual picture would travel very well.

Cheerio for now and love,

Margo, Peter, Caroline, Adrienne and Susan.

No comments: