Saturday, February 26, 2011

2nd February 1961

Written on HSBC airmail letter from Jesselton.

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter. Our new Borneo Manager has arrived and left. He is to visit all the offices of the territories before finally taking over here. I met him originally in Singapore on my first tour and he is a sound chappy. I don't blame you for not understanding my work! I don't! However, Odling arrives tomorrow for 3 weeks and will do my old & new job whilst I do the Accountant's job. The nearest equivalent to Accountant is Chief Clerk in Barclays but I will not get such an appointment in fact, for at least five years, especially as it is a higher paid number compared with other officers. The present holder has double my seniority. However, it is quite good fun although I look forward tot he time when I do the new job of Sub Acct which is known generally thoughout the bank as "i/c Drains" (Because property and thus drainage, is something I receive the complaints on.) This might happen in March/April although I hope to commence to receive payment for it in March. This is something like being a Lance Corporal in the army and is not a permanent appointment. Thank you for Reg's address - it is the first time you have given it though you had mentioned he had moved. Pity we did not buy Bank shares! I think Acorn is right about 1961 particularly after reading Kennedy's address and any doubtful shares should be sold if they show a fair price during the spring. How are Bangowan doing as I have not see any prices lately. Rubber is well down but could react sharply on renewed Russian/Chinese buying & I expect a recovery in latter part 1961/62. On shares, last week I just managed to stop a customer buying less shares at what he though were marked 17/-but in fact were £17! Happy days. It gives some insight into the difficulties of being a stock-broker. The commonest affair is when a customer thinks he can obtain "buying" prices when a seller, and lots of disappointment results. Once again I am in a rush but when this hectic period is over I expect to enter on to a new one of different nature again so will not be bored for some considerable time. Please do not mention my activities to anyone else as they are liable to be misunderstood - better to wait until it is all over and my name has appeared in the Staff list.

Love Peter

No comments: