Monday, May 7, 2012

24th Oct 1961

The Hongkong Bank Jesselton Dear Mum Dad and Alan, Many thanks for your letter and thank you for buying the present for Donald. I don't remember you telling me it was 14th Oct. although I do remember asking twice but maybe I did not notice. Am enclosing a cheque which should settle my debts to date. have no specific requirements for Christmas so cannot help you there. However, have been very energetic and have ordered presents for everybody including children so you have nothing to do for me this year. Have covered Donald, Dorothy, Hilda & Henry. Pauline & Elaine, Fiona & Mary. The trip back from Labuan was great and it is certainly the place to sit up front. I was met by the whole family - the four girls putting up a very loud and continuous greeting which could be heard across the airport. It was worth having been away. Found on my return that once again I was to stand in for someone else's job for two weeks, but this is now routine. I only hope it is appreciated but I doubt it. The Labuan trip has done me a lot of good and I have been particularly light hearted since my return. We expect to be airconditioned in the office next year (5 years late) and this will definitely help with my last year of the tour. Rachael Rice passed through last week on her way to Sandakan and it was good to have a chat. Their last place was Rangoon and it has no attractions at all! even worse than Calcutta. Have been doing some more box making. Very satisfying banging pieces of wood together although one becomes wetter than from having a shower. The point being of course that it saves a lot of money as packers here are expensive. I found Elisabeth improved whilst I was away. She is talking now so that one out of three words can be recognised and her teeth troubles are mainly over. The big doubles caused a lot of soreness. She tries to crawl but the one bad leg gets in her way - once that comes back she will have a much wider range of activity. She sits on the swing happily and enjoys sitting on the small bicycle. Am glad Ian is to be a No 1. It is not bad at 40 with 20 or more years to do on the higher salary bracket. We are getting some very junior appointments on the Foreign Staff just now as a result of the war years. People barely 2 years senior to me are becoming Accountants & Acting Managers, but from the staff list it would appear that things will revert to normal by the time it comes to my turn and I anticipate having to wait for 4 years or so. However, having only done eleven years I must not be impatient. Cheerio for now and love from us all Peter.

No comments: