Sunday, January 17, 2016

4th May 1965

The Hongkong and Shanghai Bank
Central PO Box 227
Osaka
Japan

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Well that is some birthday gift!  Thanks very much.  I have not taken it in yet as it was so unexpected, but have written to my Income Tax department for their views on the tax situation.  I do not suppose they will be very pleased with such a spot query as no doubt they are burning the midnight oil thumbing through the Finance Bill.  I do not suppose I am liable for tax as I do not see how they could collect it, but we will see.  For the moment I imagine the money will go towards the house we hope to be able to buy on the next leave as I hear the bank has reinstated loans for houses once more.

The football pools came up with another 7/- which I reinvested for next week's Australian matches.  I shall begin to think I am due for a big win soon!  Did Alan enjoy his Paris trip?  I suppose none of his machines come to Japan?  I cannot see Ian running a pub & working in the City.  Running a pub can be real hard work, I wonder if they fully appreciate what it all entails?

The pictures of the reception were OK, I think I am in that main one bending dow.  I can't remember the Indian's name for the

(rest of letter is missing)

No comments: