Wednesday, March 11, 2009

13th February, 1957

The Hongkong & Shanghai BC
PO Box 158, Calcutta.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter - I am a little sleepy after a party last night and am now reclining at leisure sipping a glass of sherry (my last bottle in India as prices are doubling with the new import tax) and as we have a cool spell at the moment the fire is being lit by Mohammed, just for decoration. Ken Rice has been in Hongkong for the last two years in charge of a senior department there so this is a bit of a let down - or so it seems, but one can never tell. Roger Stilliard thought at one time that he had been passed over as Acct in Penang, but he is to be temporary Sub Manager in London in June, a job that would suit anyone, with the possibility of a better office afterwards.

We haven't received the film yet. I am not very hopeful of success as I have since learnt that I was doing something wrong. being of fixed focus close range stuff is not effective unless on a small "stop" and I had not allowed for this. Still something should come out. What is the homeside price for a Kodak or Bell and Howell 8mm. It is worth having a good one. I can always borrow one here & keep one at home for you. Alan can operated it for one month then it could go over to Sydenham for a month etc etc. They are very portable. I'd like to do this instead of birthday & Christmas presents for a year provided it is under 50 pounds. Let me know.

Have sold out in EMI at a small profit. All is going into Premium Bonds now, will be funny if Caroline's came up and not mine!

Yes I have seen a lot of the still projectors for colour transparencies but all in all the cine film is much the best for the job I am after - and that is to give you more of Caroline than a still photo provides.

Am out of shares now except for Oil - cannot give my mind to it whilst doing the new job. There are new restrictions everyday and as we have many contacts with government their illogical unreason takes 100% attention.

The Daily Mail camp is interesting but of course an impossible gamble. They have started at the highest peak in the worst period of the year. The only reactions on the market before May will be unpredictable. I picked EMI Fords and Bowater and then realised that I could not expect a profit until December next. for that date they are all good buys. I only pay half commissions, obtaining the banks's shared brokerage for myself. Bank shares are free of tax to residents abroad but most others are not. Watch for the price of bank shares in April if they go down to 77 or near then.

Can you let me know the full names of your parents, my grandparents. Margo has a Babys Book which has to have everything in including footprints and there is a family tree. I ought to know but the names are forgotten for the moment. You might mention any before that if you can remember.

Closing off now - Carol must be near teething with bright red cheeks but nothing broken through yet. She is full of vitality and difficult to hold - never keeps still unless asleep.

Love from us all,
Peter

No comments: