Thursday, March 12, 2009

18.3.57

Written on a Hongkong and Shanghai Bank printed air letter for Calcutta.

Scribbled this off now as worked to 7pm to-night and we are out Tues. Wed & Thursday -very social! P.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Your letter arrived as mine left so you will have two close to-gether. Most interested in the source and facts of Margarets's mention of trouble in Calcutta - news to me, Hammond, Black and Bacon are going on normal UK leave and Lloyd has been promoted. We presume Mills and Howard are on normal moves - in a few month's time. The only trouble we have is Indian customers, I shall probably be completely "round the bend" when I arrive home! They have just had 2 election results in Calcutta - out of 40 or so to come - 47 injured and one motor cycle burnt. They are all nuts! We laugh heartily when we hear that the outside world is just beginning to realize through the UN what they are like. They will say anything as long as it suits them - their logic is from Alice in Wonderland - and as for Menon, well I have him or his double at my desk all day long - every day. They are all detestable cheats, liars and rogues, the worst being concentrated in Bengal.

Most interested in the rubber shares - my advice is to get out now and stay out. There is no one who can predict what will happen in Malaya after June - and rubber has always been most uncertain. Guess I cant say anything about Standards as when I could not get them at my price I did not press the matter - However, if they slump on the dock strike, buy! All motor firms will benefit from the European Union and I can see some amalgamations coming off for mass production in a big way. Agree on your remarks re P. Bonds but have no time to deal with shares.

Cheerio for now & love Peter.

No comments: