Wednesday, April 15, 2009

11, November, 1957

Typed on HSBC, Calcutta headed airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter. I have missed replying due to good weather instead of bad. Its getting chilly now and we have found energy to go out and about. Went to Maxim's with a customer on Friday and enjoyed an excellent meal and cabaret, normally outside our pockets in these times. Margo was in very good form and though we up till past twelve was not overtired but had a very solid night's sleep. Saturday, the due date, produced nothing out of the ordinary and we are still waiting the event. Caroline has had two double teeth over the last two weeks. Her teeth are big ones and cause her a lot of bother, however with the cool weather her rosy cheeks have returned and she is full of beans. Played a spot of golf yesterday and hope to keep it up for the winter, it is really glorious at Tollygunge just now. Phillips are having a new issue here and I am hoping to pick up a few for immediate resale. It will pay for the new suit I am having made from material offered me by a customer at cost price. Light weight dark grey, it should do well for the summer at home. Ian Purslow has arrived, the first of a series of changes that we are going to have up until the time I come home. My relief has been announced to arrive here on 27th May which means I should be home at the middle of June, latest, if all goes well. I am handing over my department on Febrary and will then take on a light job whcih I will combine with general supervision of the old one. This is a pleasing way to do things as normally a "take over" is such a last minute rush. Saw the beginning of the eclipse of the moon last week. A very clear sky for it. Caroline takes me out nightly for a "ss saw" on the swing in the garden and knows where to look for the moon. Margo has made her some pyjamas with feet in and the effect is that of a baby Panda, must get a photo one of these days.

Cheerio for now and love,

Margo, Peter and Caroline

No comments: