Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Undated but after 13th November 1957

Elgin Nursing Home
Calcutta

(One of the few letters written by my Mum)

My dear Mum & Dad,

Many thanks for your telegram which arrived on Friday morning. We were beginning to think that this baby was never coming! However, I went for a long walk on Tuesday afternoon & about midnight started slight pains. I was determined not to go to the nursing home during the night! When Wednesday came I knew that the baby was on the way but was obviously taking its' time. I eventually rang the doctor at 4pm & he told me to go straight into the nursing home. My servants were having their 'siesta' but I managed to find the cook who went for a taxi. When the Ayah & bearer returned to the flat they were very peeved to find that I had gone without their knowledge! At 7pm I went into the labour room & had injections which made me wonderfully drowsy & eventually I had to have an anaesthetic. When I came too it was 12.30 & the nurse said 'You know that it's over - you have a girl, 6llbs 11 1/2ozs born at 10.30. Adrienne was a forceps delivery as both hands were crossed over her head. It took about 12 hours for the effects of the gas to wear off - my eyes refused to focus & I kept seeing double! I was also disappointed that I couldn't see the baby straight away but apparently forceps babies have to rest for 24 hrs. When she eventually came in the marks had nearly faded & although her poor little nose was flattened it has improved with the days. It's difficult to say who she favours - she isn't like Caroline - her hair (very little) is dark. After handling Caroline, Adrienne looks like a baby doll - I'm sure that's what Caroline thinks she is!

Excuse the scrawl but I am reclining in bed as best I can - unfortunately I had to have stitches again but with the cooler weather they aren't nearly as sore as last time. The Elgin is full as Oct, Nov, Dec is the busiest time for producing babies. Col Fisher (my doctor) delivered 40 babies last month apart from his other work!

I am lucky to have one of the pleasanter rooms here - it's very bright & cheery & I'm surrounded by lovely flowers which friends have sent. The chrysanthemums are beautiful this year - lovely shaggy golden ones & some of a delicate shade of pink.

Peter is looking very well these days - his holiday really did him good & he relaxed a great deal during the Bank strike. Now that the cooler weather is arriving he should improve even more. It's a pity that he has to go through the hot weather but at least we know that he will be home at the beginning of June. I am looking forward so much to coming home & seeing you all again - it doesn't seem possible that it's only 3 months away. I expect you're anxious to see the babies. Caroline still doesn't say much other than 'Daddy' & 'Gee-gee' - even less than she did at a year. However, she understands a lot & will probably surprise us one day. She is a real 'Daddys' girl - yesterday Peter was up at 6.30am to take Caroline to the Zoo. I believe they had a lovely time - Caroline is crazy about animals & very fearless. Peter is hoping that he has some good snaps. Have you received the cine -film? - My friend's husband had a brief trip home on business & very kindly offered to take the film for us. It isn't as good as the previous ones - the bright sun & sand were rather against us.

This is the longest part of the day for me as we are awakened at 5am, washed - Adrienne is fed & then I have until 8am to wait for breakfast - & I have an enormous appetite! Peter comes at 8.30am-9 & again in the evening. Caroline came on Saturday at 4.30 & was very shy at first & then decide to explore the Elgin!

I expect Margaret's girls will seem very grown up when we get home. Mary was just crawling when we last saw her. It's amazing how quickly children grown - I can hardly remember Caroline as a baby.

Must say good-bye now as I want Peter to post this letter today.

Fondest love from us all & an especially big kiss from Adrienne & Caroline

Margo & Peter

No comments: