Friday, April 1, 2011

24th March 61

H.S.B.C
PO Box 76,
Beaufort

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Firstly very many thanks for your parcel - it was really magnificent and the children looked very smart in their shorts. Both Susan and Elisabeth enjoyed their birthdays, although we did not arrange special parties for them. Secondly, your letter about your water-heater beats the experiences we have had with Beaufort. I am not there yet but go on 27th and open on 29th. The contractors have not finished, the safe door handle has broken, some stationery is missing and there hasn't been any time to train the staff. As far as I tell I am the only person worried about it so, as usual, I should not be. Anyway the waiting is almost over and in a week's time I guess we will see the results. I shall come back to Jesselton for Easter then spend 2/3 weeks in B. My appointment is not through yet - but as I am receiving the desk allowance I am not at all concerned. Roans have gone up, presumably on Sir Roy's acceptance of the N. Rod. constitution. My other interests are also graded upwards for the moment but am still doubtful about the rest of the year. I did not obtain 'Tonibell' which went to 80% premium! What an issue that was. Ian Macleod, who was teaching me bridge in Calcutta, is coming here in Nov as Accountant, so with Peter Hammond in Towan, Ken Rice in Sandakan, all to come this year, we shall have 4 people from my time in Calcutta in North Borneo. I cannot remember who Ethel Webb is or was. It is very hot here and difficult to do anything and am soaking wet all day, everyone else is the same and with the usual frustrations all day long, things do not progress as well as they might. A good storm should arrive soon and then we can relax. Hope your heater is in now and all is well. I will not know the house on leave, will I?

Love from us all and Best Wishes,
Peter
The odd writing is due to a bent pen!

No comments: