Friday, April 1, 2011

8th March 1961

The Hongkong Bank
Jesselton N.B.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Thank you for your letter. I ought to have written before because so much has happened that I am bound to leave something out. John Lewis arrived a week ago last Friday (25 Feb) and I met him on the ship and his wife and one small baby. Ships are difficult things to meet here and this one stood off all day before finally coming alongside at 5 pm. They were to stay for two days at the Inghams' house before moving in to ours and I finally got them ashore with mountains of luggage. Luckily I had previously arranged a lorry. The next day, Saturday the Manager was due to (a Praying Mantis just landed on my head) sail in a club race and the Accountant had not returned from sick leave so I met the Shanghai manager also on a ship and gave Margo 1/2hr notice for lunch. He was very interesting with storys of present day China & I fitted him up with evening kit for a party he was due to attend that night. The next day two lorrys arrived and we commenced our move to the new house - lock, stock and barrel. We had previously moved two lorry loads including flowers & orchids [Oh! I forgot to mention the four prizes Margo won at the flower show the previous afternoon ($25 in all)] and we were in the house fairly done in by midday. Everyone seems happy including the servants who had to move with us. The children love it and so do we. It is in a grand location and it is palatial - will send photos soon. Mason Nelson, the broker friend of mine arrived from Singapore and we had dinner and as you can imagine talked a great. He though Carreras worth holding for some time to come. Saw Duncan Leach off on the Sunday. All this time have been trying hand over to Lewis (poor chap he has had a rough introduction to books) do my own job and continue to get on with opening Beaufort. Ordering such things as a strong room door, toilet paper and a 25 foot firecracker - besides all the rubber stamps ledgers cheque books etc etc. And writing instructions on how it should run. I shall be glad to get up there so that I only have one thing to think about. Though once I have ordered a Bank Flag and a Clock I think most things will be complete. Have ordered some Tonibell - ice-cream people with an issue on 7th. Won't know how many I will get, but I had heard vague talk about them and one customer made an order. I still think Roan's are a good risk. After all - despite the trouble going on around them all this time they still have not had as much as a strike. There was a local (Singapore) marking for Bangarwan at 1/3d done yesterday. I was interested in BATU TIGA when at 5/9d but did not buy. They are now at 7/9d and Mason Nelson thinks they may go down as he considers some recent take-over bidders will not succeed. He said they are a very good company - good cash reserves and lots of new hight yielding rubber. There is a chance that part of their land will have to be sold for development - airport district but the price should be very worthwhile. I think a buy at 6/6d or less would be good provided one ensured the reason for the drop was not adverse. A share to watch and I can get a report at anytime in the future should you require one.

The children are fit and Elizabeth is moving the right leg a wee bit. The left leg is still not doing anything but time will tell.

All our love and best wishes, Peter.
(I still have not had the confirmation of my new job but expect they are waiting for a Board meeting - as long as they dont forget!)

No comments: