Friday, November 18, 2011

24th June 1961

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter. Dear Mum Dad and Alan, Thank you for the lovely parcel for Caroline and the others, it was a beauty. Caroline had a fine birthday party with the children old enough for games and easier to look after than last year - about fourteen of them. We had purchased a fully equipped dolls house from the Haymes when they left and Margo had painted it up and fitted new curtains, Caroline was very thrilled. All the children at school made cards for her and she had quiet a selection in the end. Caroline goes to the big school on 1st July and Margo is making the uniform for her. Your holiday sounds grand and I wish I was there enjoying countryside. Instead I am in the office on a Saturday afternoon unpacking glassware. However, this is unusual and should not happen again as it is supposed to cover five years supply. We are nearing the half yearly balance once again and next month should be full of interest as I am going to stand in for the Accountant for three weeks whilst he relieves in Brunei. As a matter of fact this month of June is the first in six months that I have done my own job continually and even then I was on the Accountant's desk for 3 odd days. However, there is something for variety. The share market has taken a dump just when Carreras had reached 5/-. I have applied for some new shares in Hongkong. The issue is worth £1 million and has been oversubscribed 56 times! We are awaiting the result of the ballot and I am not optomistic! Tins have skyrocketted and rubbers look dull. Hope the rest of your holiday is enjoyable and the sun shines. Margo's mother's family came from the west country named Webb. I wonder if there is any connection? Cheerio for now and love from us all Peter.

No comments: