Thursday, January 5, 2012

15th July 1961

Written on HSBC airmail letter Jesselton Dear Mum, Dad and Alan, Many thanks for your letter and the history of Mrs & Miss Webb, I expect I shall forget it again but I do remember that you had told me before. Your card for Caroline arrived quite safely as did the handkerchiefs for Margo, she was very pleased with them indeed. Sorry to hear about Mr & Mrs Loose (editor - not sure about spelling) - give them our regards and hope that an improvement takes place soon. Donald would have returned to Scotland by now and I shall be hearing about his news from you in your next letter. Caroline likes her new school and Adrienne I think enjoys going to her school by herself and has improved being senior to the newcomers this year. Susan is still very much of a personage in her own right and is very self contained. There have been further minor improvements in Elisabeth and she is full of fun and energy. We are trying to obtain a rocker which I think will be very useful for her to sit and play in, from Singapore - they did not have it in Hongkong. The share market once again looks very sad with dismal predictions and I am losing hope for any of my interests unless Carreras pull something out of the hat. Even Premium Bonds have done nothing to compensate though there is always a chance something will come up. Have been continuing with my odd jobs in the office - the latest being to do with the aquiring of an odd strip of land next to our house and writing to the Town Board to complain about the drains. I find it quite tiring now in this stage of a tour and hot weather is flattening in a very hot office, but expect to get my second wind soon and brighten up again. The next three weeks should keep my nose to the grindstone, and put my own work even further behind. I used to pride myself in always being up to date but that seems to be a thing of the past. However, there is always something new happening which is as it should be. Cheerio for now and love from us all Peter

No comments: