Thursday, January 5, 2012

6.9.61

Written on an airmail letter which has had something spilled on it and so difficult to read, hence a few question marks on this post. Dear Mum, Dad & Alan, I am developing into a shocking correspondent! Have been promising myself that I would write a proper letter instead of my usual scribble but nothing has come of this resolution. I can blame the weather or the whole series of entertainments which have occurred and still are to occur. Of course nothing unusual happens these days to stir one up to energetic writing except that of events with the children. Elisabeth continues her jolly way and a few more words become apparent in her conversation. Peter Hammond who was with me in Calcutta passed through on his way to Taiwan after leave and we are entertaining his wife this evening as she is following by sea. Ken Rice too will be here with us this weekend, going to Saudakan. We also have the Mayors (?) for a day on their way to Kuching. A burst of activity occurred (?) because I had two old Penang friends through recently and they of course necessitated get togethers and a few beers. To list all the social round would be a bore, though I find it pleasant I wish it would spread out a bit more. I have no doubt that in a few weeks we shall be sitting still and wondering what to do until the next round commences. We have even missed our usual bridge evenings which is a pity because we need practice but shall arrange something soon. It must be nearing Donald's wedding and wonder if you have any idea what I should do for a present. I think something ordered from London and delivered direct would be best. Any ideas? Weather is warming up here and I guess it is cooling down ?? The share market looks cool enough and am still hoping for some better showing before leave next year. Saw a report on Roans, profit down quite a bit. The rubber price is up a few cents whilst Berlin etc is on and whilst Bangowan may not show an extraordinary result Malay it should be quite good. Rothman's are making a $1 issue in Malaya at the end of the year and this should be OK on long term provided the political situation remains stable. Love from us all Peter.

No comments: