Wednesday, June 4, 2014

15th Sept 63

The Hongkong and Shanghai BC
Hongkong

Dear Mum and Dad,

Many thanks for your letter.  You will have seen that I have written to Alan.  I forgot his birthday until two days too late.  Will you get him something for me?  I have told him also to let me know what he would like for a wedding present and expect you will have to pass this information on, as if he intend to get married next month than he will not have time to think about writing.

The Typhoon passed off with the strongest blow we have known yet but did not bring much rain unfortunately.  Hurricanes are in the West Indies by the way.  All the same of course but different names in different areas.  "Ty-phoon" is Cantonese for "big wind" so I am told and when it produces 90 mph gusts in places here although 100 miles away, it is big enough.  No offices were closed that I know of - but staff went home early so that those living on the mainland could get back on the ferry.  I think one ferry kept going the whole time.  Watching from the Bank windows it was having a rough time though crossing in the most sheltered spot in the harbour. 

The swimming lessons have come to an end as the instructor had to go home.  There was no ? - Adrienne was talked into it and did it in fullest confidence.  She has since swum in the sea with me.  Mostly with her head in the water.  She goes like a torpedo in the first stage of the crawl leg stroke and stops when she has to breath.  Caroline could swim in Jesselton so I did not mention her.  She is better now but the important thing was the crawl, for which she has only the first stages (everything except breathing) and I do not know enough about to teach it.  However, expect next season will be here soon enough to take care of that.  Meanwhile, they have their dancing lessons and school starts tomorrow.  Caroline is up in the higher section and will have homework.  Adrienne is up too.  Very pleased because a new 6 year old just arrived is in a lower form initially.  Elisabeth's spots are bad circulation of course.  But since the airconditioning and a diet all is well.  She is a lot bigger and heavier.  The bad leg which is still not working has a lot of good flesh on it.  This is promising because if all the nerves had gone wastage would have set in.  It is the same size as the other which is doing well.

Alan's home sounds great - I do not know the are but imagine it will be useful for his work.  An October wedding means they are going to be pretty busy getting things to furnish etc.  Let me have the address in due course and all details.  I should not worry about the quiet wedding - if Janet's family are unable to attend there is little point in a large celebration, though I appreciate that you would enjoy one and in any case a wedding in church does give a little more point to proceedings.  However, I have no doubt they know best.  Yes Roger's house impressed us a lot - just the thing for us on leave too- but the snow bound winter does not appeal.  I think a warmish bit of coast is the answer myself.  Certainly anything in too easy reach of London seems to be a waste of money these days unless one is saving a lot on fares.  However, unless we have a big win on a sweep it is not likely that we will be interested for a long time to come as school fees and paying off a house would be too much.

Cheerio for now and Best Wishes

Peter.

No comments: