Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Jan to March 65 two extracts from letters

My father would have been on leave in UK for about 6 months in 1964 before taking up his post in Japan but I don't know why there are no letters from 1964.  The following two extracts are in the file after the last post of Jan 65 and before the next post in March so I have included them here in that order.

Page 2 of letter headed with

Tel. Ashiya 2-3188                                                               10-1 Rokurokuso-cho Ashiya (crossed out)

"area and the office itself has two floors of tenents above us to be looked after.  There are still seeral local systems which have to be investigated.  The language difficulty is the main barrier even in the office and that is going to take time to get used to.  I don't see myself learning it at all.  But once I have done the first six months things will settled into place.  Especially when the warmer weather comes in.  I just can't cope with being boiling hot as I am now then standing on an icy station as I will be doing tomorrow morning.  However, I am told things warm up at the end of this month, and go on doing so until July when temperatures of 120 deg are normal.  Earthquakes are, I believe, pretty well continuous but do not bother us here.  Tokyo have noticeable but small ones frequently and it is these you see reported in the UK papers - but not ours.

The girls have settled down remarkably well and the school seems to be a good one.  The fees appeared pretty steep at first but are really quite manageable.  Elisabeth is going along for physiotherapy for the first time this week and we are keeping our fingers crossed as no one is quite sure what to expect.  The language difficulty may rear up here as well but I am sure it will be solvable.  The shops are full - quality is not always what is should be and"

The next extract is typewritten by my mother with a PS written in my mother's writing.

"read the Science bok which Adrienne brings home to Elisabeth.  At the moment A is learning about methods of heating which range from Central heating to hibernating animals!  They wear a navy blue tunic, white blouse, white tights, navy cardigan with a gray blazer and a little navy skull cap.  We have only just received our uniforms as the first tunics that the tailor made would have fitted me and they had to go back.  The tunics are still much too long although they have been taken up 4 ins but I shall leave them now as in a few months the girls will be in summer uniform.

It is a change to see all the girls with colour in their cheeks - even Caroline and Elisabeth have rosy cheeks.  We have 12 channels on T.V. - there is colour but we haven't that kind of set.  There are several children's programmes during the day, especially for toddlers and E enjoys watching even tho' it is all in Japanese.  The girls usually watch T.V. from 6 pm to 6.45 pm.  -- this is when the cartoons are on, with Lassie (in Japanese) on Monday.  They have DeputyDog, Huck Hound etc and it doesn't make any difference that the characters speak Japanese!!  We seldom watch as the only programme in English is the "Defenders" which is odd as all the other American shows are dubbed.  Imagine "The Lucy Show" in Japanese!!

If you like I will buy the girls Birthday presents -- there are plenty of toys here.  Elisabeth desperatly wants a "Skipper"doll.  This is a young sister of the Cindy dolls and is made here in Japan for 10/-.  I believe we have to pay duty on all parcels except books.  There are the items we are unable to buy.  Only one shop sells English books for children and their stock is very limited.  Perhaps you could send Caroline a book for her birthday as she is the one most in need.  The others can read Caroline's books but she is rapidly outgrowing the first reader type book.  C enjoys Enid Blyton and has read "The Caravan Family" etc.  Now she would like either "The Saucy Jane Family" or "The Pole Star family"  "The Buttercup Farm Family" The Seaside Family".  Most of the bookshops will send books out direct and it will save you having to wrap them up.

I must go now and supervise the Maid -- it takes her a week to do what Mrs Bancroft did in one morning!!!

Love from us all -- Pter will be writing when he gets more time.  I think it will take him a few months to settle down.

Margo Peter & the girls

P.S.  Elisabeth & I go into Kobe for her exercises every afternoon for one hour.  No one speaks English but I get by as I do when I buy food - by pointing & smiling.  Everything is sold in grammes & kilos or metres.  Also all packaged goods are printed in Japanese characters - never no whether it's soap flakes or starch!!

No comments: