Monday, March 1, 2010

21 Dec 1959

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter - we have been receiving parcels this week and cards. I think the Post Office is still sorting a lot. We have received you Calendar and the parcel for Susan and Adrienne. Parcels from Margaret & Ian - Henry & Hilda have also arrived. The Baby Walker has not come yet but I have the bill £2.8.9; a large amount for postage. I still owe you £1 for Alan and also for the children's presents so please let me know the total to come to you and I shall settle up. So please let me know the total to come to you and I shall settle up. Glad that your Acorn has arrived mine hasn't. Expect the delay is due to the Christmas rush. However, I have bought another 500 carreras at 4/11 and my overdraft is up to its limit so perforce shall be holding off. My Fraser & Neave have not done anything yet and things are alack with a dip in the rubber market. Do not expect to see any great rise till March - Nov next year when 1960 results will be apparent and it will then be seen whether a shortage of rubber at that time will force the contracts for 1961 upwards. It is a while to wait yet and many factors are variable. Singapore is an active market as they deal in £ -A£ -HK$ & M$ stock daily. We certainly realized the worth of Hilda's present - in fact they are embarrassing in their generosity. There is a parcel for each of us this year again, which we have not yet opened. I would much prefer to have them send the children's only as we feel mean not to return the compliment. I am getting a new camera soon as I have sold the old one - now very scratchy - and shall send them a batch of photos in the new year. Was amused at you ? that Elaine is argumentative at four. You should hear Caroline at three "I want the blue dress not the red" "It is efalant!" "I'll have pudding first" "No I dont want to go to bed I want to play with you" and Adrienne speaks parrotwise and is far in advance of Caroline at similar age. The house will be bedlam when the other one starts. I remember deciding that I'd beat the moths on those suits and can imagine the smell a bit. If a really lightweight Terrilyne trouser is available at about £2 then I would be wise to follow your suggestion. I dont know about current prices. They must be 55% or more Terrilyne or they wont work very well here.
Give our Best Wishes to Henry & Hilda and the Boys and we will be thinking of you all at Christmas time. Happy Christmas from Margo x Peter x Caroline x Adrienne x and Susan x

PS our servants return next week.

No comments: