Sunday, February 28, 2010

7th December 59

Hongkong Bank
Jesselton B.N. Borneo

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

To answer Dad's letter first. Ariston should be a good buy. I have now found out where the tip came and its issues of once per month have given some useful information. They try to give secondary equities which they consider to have a growth potential and I have ordered you three months issues as a Christmas present to see what you think of it. The manager received mail confirmation of C's the other day. The reason for buying slowly is that they are South African run and they may suffer a setback from the boycott of SA goods in UK. Thus a lowering in price should provide cheaper shares. However, these odd schemes are often of a temporary nature and a setback in my opinion is uncertain. Anyway, it is a growth share and the future should be good. I did not get any Ariston as until my insurance funds are released I am fully tied up in things that I wish to hold. I wonder too whether it will be a few months before the market recovers from the election excitement and maybe a few goods buys will appear between now and March. I seem to remember things dulling off once before like that. The Singapore market is still hight and I think waiting to go up further . I dont advise buying in London as with delayed delivery you may not see your scrip for months and through this may not see a dividend which is due to you. Yield is comparatively high on the best shares owing to the risk from political sources. However, both Singapore and Malayan budgets have just come out with the promise, for that is what it is worth, that things will not have any more tax in 1960. If you wish to invest it will be for the yield only as capital can suffer a quick decrease following rubber and tin and it can be 3 or 4 year wait till it recovers. In that time anything can happen. If you are interested I can let you know when there is a drop in F and N say to about 1.40 they are 1.63 now, and you can buy in my name. The "round purchase" is in 1000s and in these lots are most easily dealeable. Alternatively, you could purchase direct from Sassoons in Singapore mentioning my name. (For attention R.M. Nelson) but then dividends would be declared for tax. Thinking it over again I would advise that you stick to your own market with which you are most familiar.

Thank you very much for the needles, Margo will let you know if there is anything specific that she requires after Christmas. She has just said that she "must write", but we are both behind on our correspondence. Once the children are in bed it is an effort to start on something else when a chair and a book are so inviting. The chap from San Fran arrives on the 19th. Martin and Mary Curren are on leave in Hongkong at present and come back with them. Margo and I are planning on a leave about May June on a round trip by sea to Sandakan Tawau and back with maybe two of the children. Glad you have a visit to Wolverhampton. I have not sent anything this year as I see no reason to start an extra custom. We have a wide circle to deal with when the local children are considered plus friends in India Manila etc. Our social round is commencing too. Dinner out tomorrow, dinner with canasta and scrabble in Wednesday dinner in 22nd Sports club Childrens fancy dress 21st staff tea party 19th drinks party 19th Golf Club childrens party 20th Christmas lunch 25th drinks party 1st Jan. Margo, is thinking of sending our two as little Bo peep and one sheep, which might well do. Good show that Alan won a rally, they are hard work at times. I was navigator on a winning car in Penang once and know how much has to go into it. This is all for now it is too hot even to type and I am going to sit back for a spell before bed. I am sleeping and eating too well these days, with Margo's cooking, shall have to watch the waist line.

Love from us all,
Peter

No comments: