Tuesday, February 23, 2010

22 Oct 1959

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letters. Was especially interested in Dad's notes on any rubber shares - I think they may pay something though would like to see their latest balance sheet etc. Will get on to the nearest branch in Malaya when I have time here. What a week on the Stock Exchange! banks over £58 - I wish I had more than 1. The Echtar of Reuter still thinks British Equities are cheap compared with USA-Europe so I suppose a financier would still go ahead and buy even at these high prices. But it would take some doing. I am glad to see you have done well out of recent events. I'd advise caution on rubber as have always felt rubber and tin to be very speculative and there are a large number of take-over bids going on. On the other hand Malaya seems very stable just now and the rubber price has not dropped very much despite the USA-UK stock pile sales. My paper just received gives $1.02 5/8 per lb spot which continues healthy. Shall sell my Kapala if I can get 2/6d or wait a dividend next year. There are some Preference shares in the way so shall see what happens.

Glad you enjoyed the trip to Harry's - it is giving you a new part of England to view. Was amused to read that they are selling their boat and buying a sailing boat for racing - it is what I suggested when Harry was at H. Bay - and he thought it a waste of time! Mike Figg is leaving to takeover SIBU and the Leach's are coming here from San Francisco - what a change. He is a little more senior than M Figg and will suit me as he will hold the S. Accts job - one that I could do in my spare time and I shall not feel that the desk allowance is being wasted. I had my eye on it but it was not to be. They are married and our house should by rights go to them. I am hoping the number of children will determine that we do not have to move. Still short in the office till next week but all goes well. We had a fine Chinese dinner last night and are entertaining guests this evening. Golf match tomorrow but I havent had any practice.

Lots of Love from Margo Peter Caroline Adrienne & Susan xxxxx

No comments: