Sunday, February 28, 2010

24th November 1959

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter and Dad's note on the end. I haven't anything special on Ariston and am not doing anything myself. I suppose there is no connection with the visits to be made by the Duke - the PM & Krushov? I have bought Fraser & Neave on the Singapore Market. There has been an issue of $ unit trust shares for the first time and the surplus cash to be invested should push the local equities up. Coupled with that 1960 should be a boom year for consumer goods in Malaya when the rubber bonuses are paid out on the estates. At least this has happened in the past. F& N are distributors & part owners of the local brewery and also make 90% of the soft drinks for the area. Yield after tax at my price should be about 7% though I shall no doubt have sold by the time the next dividend comes around. Thanks for sending the things off for the children. I understand about postage - if it is a lot and I am beginning to wonder whether cash presents would not be better in the long run. Yet another new shop has opened here and the things available have greatly improved over recent months. Though Margo can never find simple things like cotton or needles. The children's things are a little better but sell out quickly. Most things that came in last month have gone - it doesn't help either being so in advance of Christmas as one does not consider buying in Sept/Oct. You are right not to knit for the children. You can do that for us during the year preceding our leave! Did I tell you that the bank education insurance is better than I expected. I am now fully covered for 8 years for each child for a sum in excess of the present fees, so that there will be something over for holidays etc. The monthly payments are within my capabilities and in a few years I will not notice them. The scheme allows me to receive just over £1000 more than I pay in premiums which is better than anything I have met before! On top of this I can release my old policies and have all my past savings in cash and thus allow more freedom of manouver than heretofor. A very pleasing arrangement that appears to have solved all my problems. Mrs Aylett has received her photo of the girls so all is in order.

Cheerio for now and love from us all,
Peter

No comments: