Tuesday, February 23, 2010

12 November 1959

Typewritten on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter

Dear Dad, Mum and Alan,

Thank you for your letter, Dad, it was good of you to write so promptly. The takeover of Kapala by Kulim was in the financial on Saturday and I read about it in Tuesdays Singapore paper also. Actually have received the companies notice today but it is too late as I had sold. At 2/7 1/2d so was very pleased, although I suppose that it was not as good as the takeover. I could not work that out exactly as I could not obtain a quote for Kulim. Neither do I know what Kulim have moved to since. However, £28 net after paying buying and selling costs is good enough for me and will cover my retreads on the car and Christmas expenses. Have purchase standards at 11/1 1/2. I do not expect to see such a quick return but hope to see them at £1 one day. This again is only my idea but they gave themselves a very good report. A friend of mine has just bought Ariston Gold mines at 5/1. I know nothing about them and wondered why he was interested. Thank you for the birthday cards they have arrived in good time. Very pleased the photo has turned up. I was wondering what had happened as they have not yet sent me a bill. I also ordered for dorothy and one for Mrs Aylett so hope all is well with those also. If not you might query with Kings Croydon. but imagine all ok. Have seen Ho Choy and Ah Fong off today. They are on the ship to Hongkong for a months holiday. We have a temp, wash Amah and Margo will cope with the cooking. Unfortunate over Christmas but we will be pleased enough if they return promptly. They have to go back to renew their papers so there was no question of putting it off for a while. We have had a young girl staying with us for two days on the way to Lahad Datu. A chap in Calcutta wrote requesting that we put her up. Very pleasant and a change for us, but we did not see much of her. As her arrival put the eligible female population of Jesselton up by 33 1/3 per cent she was in demand by the Mess, who we had to dinner last night. By the way I also sold my one bank share at a profit, after which they have taken over British Bank of the Middle East. BBME Shareholders have made a goodly sum from that one. So now we have an interest in oil. I hope I never have to go to any of their branches, some are in the hottest places in the world and very sandy. They are the old bank of Iran I believe. We continue to get rain in very large amounts and have not played golf for some time. It becomes quite cold at night but depressing during the day. Rather restricting for the children also. However they are thriving, at least two are. Adrienne has had two weeks of screaming with teeth. She certainly lets us know she is uncomfortable. In between she gives us the usual large grin and is as hefty as ever so do not suppose much is wrong. She stills needs several to complete the set and we are waiting the day when it is all over. You would find Caroline thinner. All the surplus chubbiness has gone but she is well covered. Susan is following steadily in Carolines tracks and is no trouble. Eating and sleeping steadily without fuss and very interested in all that goes on around her. WE have an excellent photo of all three together for the Christmas cards (which have not arrived yet) excellent in so far as the pose, but the exposure is horrid and I cannot enlarge. However it will do if only because it is so good of the children. Getting them lined up for it was a performance that I would not go through very often and still stay sane . Will you do the usual for me for Ian's and Ian M's children this Christmas and let me know what it is. I have not sent Alans present yet but will settle all round when I know what all the items are. Your present is on the way delivery December. Hope it to your liking as they are the real thing and are not as innocent as they look.

No comments: