Wednesday, February 3, 2010

26th August 1959

Typewritten on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad,and Alan,

Many thanks for your letters I am sorry that mine was a bit late but I expect it was the photos. Adriennes hair did look grand in the pictures but in fact was seldom so picturesque in practice. Very thin and straggly. But it has been cut now, short but with waves and she looks much more presentable. Since Caroline has been at school she (Editor's note - I think he is referring to Ady here) has been better behaved and is talking a lot more, ahead of C at relative ages in this respect. C has a wonderful time at school by all accounts and seems to like it all. It is early yet to judge but they seem pleased with her. Very self possessed and no fuss, which I suppose with some of them there they are thankful for. As birthday is not until 13.11.59 but it is good for you to suggest a tricycle for her. We have talked it over and decided that the one we have is enough as A can use it in the mornings and we do not wish to have C on a bigger one whilst we are on a hill. A likes to rush things about and we would like it to be obviously hers without C butting in. The problems one has with children. However, we have seen a Triang toy that will suit and if I describe the basic requirements you might find it. A metal cart on four wheels tough enough not to crumble under A's hand. Big enough so she does not have to bend over too much. Then she can push it about empty or full. Now if there is purchase tax on it, I could order it from here and save a bit and you could pay when I get the invoice. You will be pleased to know that C's iron is now an important part of her life. To see her iron a pair of panties is a remarkable sight and she makes it look a duplicate in every action of the Amah's. The film is not such a good one and I hope it is only my fault and not the cameras. There seemed to be a lot of light in the wrong places. My still camera is causing trouble too but I hope to fix that in time with a bit of string. They rust so easily and fungus is difficult to get off the lens. Ghurkas are not employed by the British in India. They are hired in Nepal and have been fighting for the last ten years in Malaya where they have distinguished themselves as well as they ever did in their past history. They are illiterate country peasants until they come into our hands and then develop into what must be the most adaptable fighter in the world today. If you look at the map and draw a 2000 mile radius circle from North Borneo you will probably come to the same conclusions that I have , when you consider that a main base in Singapore and Hongkong is not of very much value. The Kota Belud area is now only being kept down. The thing around my neck was probably a handkerchief for the sun. The christening went very well with Susan good as gold. 24 adults and 6 or 7 children came and 7 stayed for dinner and the last one left at 11.30. Gordon Bray stood in for Donald and made an appropriate toast then everything as informal with people relaxing, it was quite a hot day. The archdeacon came up but could not stay too long as he had evensong. His wife is teaching at Caroline's school and brought her boy and girl who are a little older than C. I have not got my BMC or my Swan Brewery shares as the price rose too high for my limit the latter are at 12/3 1/2 and I first saw them at 10/6. Both items are I think still good buys but I am not risking buying at the top of the market. Perhaps there will be a lull when I shall be able to get in. I do not like the Austins peoples car models. I would prefer the old model T Ford to that shape and I think the people in the export markets will too. Still we shall see. Reuters finance seem to think there is still a lot of leeway for the London Market in an upward direction. Love M. P. CAS.

No comments: