Wednesday, February 10, 2010

3rd October 1959

Typewritten on HSBC Jesselton airmail paper

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Sorry that this is a bit late, but for a change I have been busy. A week ago John Stewart had a bad accident with his car and broke a thigh. He is on the mend now, but to be one short over the end of the month/quarter left the rest of us in the office rushing around. Luckily his replacement for leave arrives at the end of the month so that it is only for a short spell. I cannot remember when I last wrote, but the inspectors have left now. They appeared pleased with the order of things and having seen my correspondence with agencies before they arrived, plus the details of the Brunei changeover they did not really inspect books very throughly. Also the trip had been a long one and I supposed them to be weary. The bank has brought out a sort of "save and hire purchase" scheme for education, in conjunction with an insurance company. It is very good, with the insurance agents commission coming to the member of the staff and cheap interest rates on the overall loan that fluctuates with premium and fees being paid out before policies mature. I have applied and hope they take over my policies and then give full cover for my requirements. It will be very steep going at first but much easier going than wold have been the case. The object is to be all paid up in eighteen years and I have a faint idea that with so many of the staff in a similar position to myself and when the bank sees the figures involved there may be a little "written off" in years to come. My own proposal is pretty involved. That should be the case of each one that goes in, everyone will now presumably having different ideas and I would not like the job of sorting it all out. However, whilst the bank are not giving anything away, it is a step in the right direction and our little problems are obviously looked in to in head office. I now take the daughter of the local policeman to school along with Caroline. She is a little older and is a non stop chatterer. C. of course copies like mad and I am lucky if I can get a word in edgeways at my own table. Am horrified at the thought of the other two doing the same thing, but I guess my fate is sealed. We still have it very wet and have not been able to play golf for a long time. The ball disappears under the ground at every shot it is so muddy. The dry season should start soon . Have at last made a purchase of shares. They are not quoted often and would like you to mention prices last seen in each of your letters. "2/- ordinaries in Kapala Rubber". I don't know anything about them, but if they have rubber they must make a profit in the next two years and a small rise will suit me as I paid 1/11 1/4d. Dealers in Malaya are having a heck of a job finding spot rubber and those who should know consider that demand will be ahead of supply for some little time to come.

No comments: