Friday, April 30, 2010

8th February 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for you letter, I have sent the photos seamail - the ones you have received are those taken at the club I think, but now am not at all sure what I have done. There are six to a set. Lets hope it isn't twins! We have recovered from the initial shock and fury at an idiotic young doctor who, we now realize, just did not know his job and gave bad advice. However, these things happen and you can imagine my main concern is that Margo comes through without any trouble. She has been well and happy with of course many minor things to make life uncomfortable but nevertheless being very cheerful. Thank goodness I have nothing to do in such an affair. The three girls continue to bloom. Susan crawls and has to be rescued from the steps time and again. We are now positive that she will another Caroline - straight hair and similar mannerisms. Her face has suddenly assumed a more grown up look too and she does not miss very much. She eats similar food to the others and loves to be at the the table with them. She would like rubber panties/feeder/socks for her birthday so you can choose. I do not have any records for the children and do not know any names. Can you look in a record shop catalogue and make a note. Then write off for them to be despatched. If they are 45s, 2 would be plenty otherwise we shall never get them to bed. As it is we have Read a Book - do Jigsaw - make a house - it could go on all night. Can you find a plastic thimble size 6, we cannot find one anywhere. I hope to buy some second hand records soon so that will do us for the moment in the music line - but I would like some socks, fawn/green.

I have bought some Smith & Nephew at 18/7 1/2 and have sold Fraser & Neave though I do not know the result yet. Am sure that there will be a drop in the Malayan Market soon as the exchange rates have dropped and I expect the local Bank rate may rise. Hope to buy back later on. Would like to buy more Carreras as I saw them at 4/6d. Acorn had not much in my line this month and guess it is wise to hold off for a bit. Looks like a big transport strike coming and no doubt this will not help the market. Martin Curew has gone to Brunei for a month and I am doing a spot of new work. As luck would have it the first allow rate change for three months came this morning and from then on something odd happened every five minutes. However, a change in routine is welcome in what otherwise would be a dull month (after Chinese New Year). We had a jolly poker evening on Saturday - lots of fun with a good crowd. Margo had some very good cards.

All for now and Love
Peter

No comments: