Monday, October 8, 2012

3rd March 1962

Written on HSBC airmail letter.

Jesselton

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

I don't know wheter a letter of mine has gone astray but I have not received one from you for some time.  My relief has been here for two weeks now and I have handed over most my desk and am myself relieving in Books for two weeks.  Meanwhile, a series of farewell parties have commenced and tonight we are giving a cocktail party which will be our last big do.  A dinner at Government House on 12th has also suitably cropped up and a week afterwards I shall be off to Labnan.  Susan went to school for the first time on 1st M.  and enjoyed herself.  With 3 at school it will leave Margo relatively clear in the mornings to do the many things that have to be done.  We have been inoculated & injected this week which alas brings the great event nearer still.  Our next door neighbours have recently bought a new motor boat and we were all (all) taken out on Sunday for a glorious picnic on the island opposite our house.  The children had a grand time and I caught a fish length 30 1/2" which is of the mackerel family, about 6 to 7 llbs.  We had part for lunch next day and the owners of the boat had the rest for dinner.  It was very good but like mackerel, very filling.  The other people in the boat at the time thought I had caught a bunch of seaweed at first!

Well there is not much more to write about that I won't be telling you soon in more details but Elisabeth is now a non-stop chatter-box, more so than I can remember the others being.  She goes on and on and is most insistent that she has attention.

Cheerio for now and love,

Peter.

No comments: