Sunday, March 11, 2018

12th November 1968

Written on HSBC air letter from Johore Bahru Malaysia

My dear Mum & Dad,

Many thanks for your letter - we heard that the weather was very bad on Sunday so we wondered whether or not you went down to Folkestone.  Our monsoon rains have died away for a while and it has been very hot.  On Sunday we were invited to a Remembrance Day service at the Army camp - held in their gym which was very, very hot.  I could feel the perspiration rolling down my back and we were all using our service sheets as fans!  However we enjoyed the service and afterwards we went to the Officers mess for curry lunch, arriving home about 4pm.

On the Saturday we went to the Civil Service Club to see a display of orchids and the State Surgeon who is a keen orchid fan gave a most interesting talk (in English, thank heavens!).  He very kingly gave me a large bunch of orchids afterwards - some of which he had developed & which are named after his wife & daughters.  This event was followed up by a dinner & dance at the Club which we all enjoyed.

Peter is going to a 'men only' dinner tonight in Singapore at the Tropicana Club which has a very lavish floor show.  I think I shall have nice early night, - with my book & radio.

We bought Adrienne a writing case - I left it at the school before I left & since asked Bobbys to send a Troll which A wanted.  I should think the size 30 jumper should fit Elisabeth - although of course the different makes do vary.  The dark green will go nicely with her new skirt.

My father is going in hospital again - the Sea Bathing hospital at Margate so this might help him a bit.

The garden is full of flowering shrubs & I have set some Zinnia seeds which are coming through.  They are about the only flower which you can grow in pots - apart from the orchids.  Must write to the girls love

Margo & Peter

No comments: