Saturday, December 13, 2008

21st February 1951

H. & S. B. C.
Penang

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Thank you very much for your letter of the 15th, received yesterday. My birthday seems quite away off yet but am pleased that you have thought of it so early. We can get magazines here OK but they are usually dearer then if sent from home. A subscription to Reader's Digest would be jolly good and it is something that I've been going to do myself so for once you have forstalled me in my practice of not knowing what I want.

As I mentioned in my last letter John Seaton will be leaving Penang for Singapore as soon as he is out of hospital and we shall have the dog. I wasn't too keen on looking after it so refused the offer of it for myself. I wouldn't be prepared to give it the very necessary care and attention that this climate demands for an animal.

Your reorganisation sound very interesting, but dont quite know what to suggest in so far as which rooms to use for dining or lounge. Carpets - well I could buy for you - not that I have any knowledge of the subject. Custom's duty would be heavy I imagine.

Ogilvy-Stuart is settling in and had two girl friends down from Singapore. They are Foreign Office people and have spent this week in Penang. Took them to dinner at the Easter & Oriental Hotel last Saturday followed by a very pleasant dance at the Runnymede. On Sunday we took the train and ascended the "Crag" - Penang's higher equivilent of the Peak at Hongkong. Had a huge Curry tiffin up there and lots of fruit - relaxing afterwards to let it all go down and enjoying the cooler air. The view is not so exciting as that at Hongkong but is pretty good all the same.

Your series of colds don't sound too good. I caught one for a few days and have taken a course of Serocalcin. It ought to be worth trying - the ony thing is to remember to take it at the right time - I invariably forget.

Have ordered a meat pack from Australia - to arrive within the next 3 months. In the meantime have sent you a parcel from here containing (2) Tea, (4) Fruit Salad, 1/2 doz small tins salmon, 2lb tin ham and two smaller of spiced ham. This stuff is all insured, so should any be damage, or not up to standard, let me know. Should the postman bring an obviously damaged parcel tell him its insured and that you are going to claim. He should, I think, verify that it was damaged on delivery.

My car arrived last Thursday. Its a fine wee thing and goes like a bomb - though am "running it in" with as much care as my erratic driving will allow. Though it is only a two seater car and have carried four. There being a space for luggage in the back up to 112 lbs. The top folds right back and is just right for driving here. It is very economical to run - about 46 miles per gallon. Very easy to drive, park and keep clean - though I have a boy to do the latter. We have an allowance of $60 per month for transport and this will cover any running expenses. I am in debt to the bank for $2900 and am happily paying them back at $100 per month.

Stuart and myself are going to stay at Sungi Patami over Easter. The sub-agent there (the only ?) wants to get away and asked us if we'd like to have a free weekend. It will be pleasant to have a look at the mainland.

Am now a member of the Royal Society of St George - sole purpose is the yearly celebration of the English saint's day. The thing is to invie a Scotsman and an Irishman so that one has a return invite to St Patricks' and St Andrews'! The accountant is Vice-President this year and of course joining was necessary - though would have done so anyway.

Work continues smoothly and am now instructed to have a look at all goings on re overdrafts. Unusual thing for me to do at present, but as we have no Agent work is being pushed around a bit and it should be an interesting addition to the routine.

This is all for now - am off to another dinner to-night - a return engagement from last weekend.

Cheerio and love,
Peter

No comments: