Tuesday, December 2, 2008

23rd January, 1951

H. & S. B. C.
Penang

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

I have received your three letters via Singapore and enjoyed them all. Alan's letter though just a little technical in parts was well written and very readable - the best I've had from him and hope to have a lot more too. Meeting all these new faces is invaluable experience. One thing to do and that is try to remember names of the various peoples - not necessarily those of senior people - though that of course is important - but of the juniors too. They will be seniors one day and your corresponding number in various positions and may be of great help in a variety of ways in the future.

Dad's letter was very welcome and am pleased to hear of the confidence in 1951/52. The general position seems very chaotic so I suppose things could settle down as much as get worse - a fifty fifty chance in fact.

Note that you had a taste of Benadictine - suggest sipping it with coffee - near black - I prefer the flavouring that way. I won't suggest a cigar but that makes it even better.

John did not get a move from Hongkong as he was well established in a bill dept and doing lots of interesting work. We were both sorry to part and hope to meet up some time in the future.

Am not in the office to-day, Tuesday, as it is a religious festival or something. Lots of the people are strolling down the road nearby to the nearby temple carrying gifts, banners and arches of decorations, singing chants, clapping and drumming. It has been quite exciting. Was hoping to play tennis but the ground is too wet - we have had heavy rain each night so we are relatively cool.

No more news of the loan for my car yet so I haven't been able to get out. The accountant says he things they will give in soon and grant it, so I'm just hoping.

Am going to see if I can take up golf - a friend of John's knows a bit about it and has offered to show me the ropes. Evidently the course here is a small one and the club fee is small and everyone has the chance of a good game.

Work is going well and I am gradually settling into it. Will have to read up on banking practise though as there are lots of things I 've not bothered about before - bankruptcy, trusteeship etc as far as they effect the books and authorities for arguing - plus the appropriate forms. Exchange control is new to me here and that must be covered also. It is wonderful to feel free in the office and bear responsibility and have to think off your own bat. Hongkong annoyed me - I had less freedom there than in London. Of course, if a mistake is made it is mine to rectify or take the consequences, but that is what I'm paid for presumably.

Have found out that we have a scale of raises for fourteen years. That is until I am 37. It is roughly 100 pounds per year every two years and means that without any appointment at all I can go up to 1250 pounds plus cost of living at Penang rates would be 2500 and over. The Agent here must get that as basic salary as his loans this years was 250 pounds. The first appointment seems to be that of sub-accountant and from there the scale does not apply.

Must chase off to have some food now so Cheerio and I expect I'll be writing in answer to a fresh letter from you this coming week.

Love, Peter

No comments: