Saturday, July 18, 2009

12th March, 1958

Typewritten on HSBC Calcutta airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter which I was specially pleased to receive as Margo's had been delayed in the post. The airways messup seems typical these days. Despite their boastful advertisements they really do not care very much as they have a full traffic. It was lucky that Margo managed to get an alternative flight so quickly. Thank you for getting the flowers for me. Margo mentioned that she was tired and was suffering from lack of any system in the new conditions, but knowing her ability to settle down it will not be long before everything is sorted out. Coming from the east on leave one should really go into seclusion for a week or two in a comfortable hotel in the country and not meet anyone until fully rested from the trip, otherwise there is a natural temptation to do too much. Am glad Caroline was happy. This will not be a period of quick development for her and I expect her speech will flow more strongly now that there will be so many new things to interest her. Adrienne will be sitting up and looking less babylike even by the time I return. I have been kept occupied since Margo's departure with friends making sure that I do not feel lonely and I shall be glad when next week comes around and I can have a bit of time to myself. Am starting bridge again and fixing up a regular four and hope to interest Margo again ready for the next tour. It is a very suitable way of entertaining and one does not have to be all that expert. Will always be pleased to have your impressions of the children, one knows they are pretty good but it is nice to hear other people say so!

Much love, Peter.
P.S. What does Alan thing of his nieces and god-daughter?

No comments: