Saturday, July 18, 2009

7th Feb 1958

Typewritten on HSBC Calcutta airmail letter. (This is dated incorrectly - I am guessing it is actually 7th Mar, as it is out of sync.)

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

As you can guess this week has been pretty busy and I have delayed writing to you till now. I have not yet had a letter from Margo but imagine that all must have gone well and you will by now have met my daughters. I have been entertained by friends since Margo left and have not had much time to feel lonely although once or twice the flat seemed very empty. Must get down to the final packing this weekend. I don't like packing and have the feeling that I will put it off although it will worry me until it is done. A launch picnic on Wednesday went very well in good weather with some pleasant people. This is the holiday called Holi when everyone throws coloured water, paint, on everyone else and they get in a fine old mess, their clothes being ruined for good. Still they seem to have fun looking scruffier than they do usually. A funny lot. Have some pictures of the picnic which I hope will come out so that I can show you some new faces. Not many pages left in the Calcutta album now. I wonder what the title of the next Album will be. Lots of little Japanese gardens would be rather attractive. Can you please send me an application form for a driving licence. I want to renew my UK one this time to make sure that I remain on the books. Can you tell me if my two sheath knives are still around. The son of a friend of mine has just joined the scouts and I thought he might like them. I hope to visit him at school when I get home.

Cheerio for now and lots of love, let me have a long letter giving all your views and impressions of the children, we started to call them the tortoise and the bee .... you will know which is which.

No comments: