Sunday, August 1, 2010

14th August 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail paper

Dear Mum and Dad and Alan,

Thank you for your two letters chock-a-block with news. Glad you have sold your Minister land, I feel sorry for anyone who has to live in those buildings. Your colds etc are odd for summer time but hope they are all over now. I have forgotten what the bag cost, but it was over £1 so if you agree we will call it square. Thank you once again for looking after Margo's presents. If Margo is going to return before the end of this year we can well afford to pay our way with Mrs Aylett. I will mention this in my next letter to her so that there is no misunderstanding. "Acorn" have issued their 3rd warning that 1961-1962 will be a bad period for shares because American markets will be down. Reuters News is still saying the $ is overvalued and gold undervalued. Someone in Shell mentioned they think 1962 is going to be dull. Acorn thinks that in the meantime there will be a rise this autumn. So for my purposes I shall be liquidating, but will keep Carreras, as I think they must eventually reflect their new growth - though with the new rises in interest rates they will have had to pay more for their large overdrafts. Susan has been producing more teeth but made only a little fuss and is now bonny again. This evening I saw a chair apparently walking by itself from the kitchen - Susan carried it right round the lounge - a very funny sight but some achievement! Ingham is a very pleasant chap and will fit in well here. His wife & two children arrive tomorrow. It is not this wife who is a physio but the wife of someone in Govt.

It has turned hot and sticky this week - have spent the time on the usual routine though I was invited out for a couple of evenings. We had our usual swim this morning and caught the sun so we are all red faced and sleepy though I have just broken off to give Caroline a drink.

Cheerio for now and love,
Peter.

No comments: