Wednesday, August 18, 2010

28th August 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Dad, Have just had a second look at the date. Many Happy returns of the DAy! for 27th. I have had this noted in my deskpad for some time then go and miss sending a card. Please forgive me. Lots of love from your granddaughters
and Best Wishes Peter (written at top of the airmail letter).


Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Thank you for the photos they were very good of everyone. Glad you had a shopping trip with Margo. She wrote to say she enjoyed it. I did tell Margo to make sure she was paying her share but did not say anything else. As far as my shares are concerned I have to make sure what capital I have is safe as even if the bank does pay the £400 to £500 for the fares I still have a lot of leave expenses which will take the rest. The American economy is shaky in my opinion and it will effect UK and Europe. However, I expect a rise at the short term because most companies have been earning well in 1960 and the end year results ought to be good. It will surely be the sensible thing for me to get out and invest in P.Bonds for the rest of the tour - or if the market does make a big drop after that to reinvest in a few favourites. The manager has recently bought London Tin at 12/1 1/2 and thinks Borneo Timber is good at 7/-. BT went to 10/- at last results and I understand they have continued good timber sales since then. Carreras have started a slow rise, I wonder if this is on the way to bigger things. I heard from Henry in June but do not know if I replied - have written now though to say how Elisabeth is. Adrienne is starting school 15th next month. Caroline is in fine form and so is Susan. I wish I could reproduce their pidgeon English which I overhear them using when speaking to the servants. It creeps into their speech with me at times so no doubt you will hear a few oddities when they come home. The net result is that Caroline make the Amah understand a great deal more than I can so I use C as an interpreter. This is ok so long as Caroline sticks to facts, but she is just as likely to dream up a story from imagination. In that way I found Adrienne all dressed for school last week with orange juice and biscuits! A. naturally was most disappointed when I did not take her. Cheerio for now and love from us all Peter.

(Editor's note). Mum was in England with Elisabeth who caught polio at 6 weeks. The doctor in Borneo refused to believe anything was wrong. Luckily a nurse recommended mum to take E to England. E was at Gt Ormond Street for sometime but unfortunately due to the delay in diagnosing, has never been able to walk.

No comments: