Wednesday, August 18, 2010

3rd October 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Only one more day to go and everyone of us is greatly excited. Am looking forward to hearing all about the christening - what a change in the weather it was for you! It must have been a crowd in the house. Am sorry to hear about Mrs Martin's illness - please give her my regards and I hope she has a good recovery. Caroline enjoyed another birthday party yesterday - this time at the house of the Commissioner of Police. I had not been out to that part of Jesselton before as it is at the back of the airport near the Police HQ. They have wonderful grounds, with lots of flat lawn, quite unusual for this place and I realized that their labour must come from the Prisons and must be very handy. Have been out to dinner again last week & lunch on Sunday with Inghams. Have a dinner next week to go on to a film show with the manager - its Nobata Charity effort. Also a lunch next Sunday at the Inghams. I expect there will be a lot more wanting to see Margo. The bank have not paid the passage - I did not really expect it so it is not much of a disappointment, we shall have to cut down a bit but I have no doubt we will manage in the long run.

Cheerio for now and love
Peter.

No comments: