Thursday, August 26, 2010

6th November 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter with the description of Richard's party - you obviously had a very good time. It appeared to be very well planned too and sound a grand occasion. I have asked Selfridges if they can supply the chocolates that I sent last year as you seemed to like them - but will remember a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream (sherry) if they are unable to supply them. We seem to be well stocked with odds and ends at the moment, but ideas for the future could be Marks & Spencers pyjamas, very light weight, for me and in records we are quite well stocked with the lighter side for parties and I am keen on choral stuff now - the Messiah is very grand singing - I can never think of titles but there are lots more that are very well know. However, none of this is required "at once" but are just ideas. We have heard of changes coming in the bank and expect to hear what they are when the manager returns for H.O. conference next week. I expect some sort of integration - we'll be in Saudi Arabia & the Persian Gulf yet! The Mercantile have offices in Pakistan too which is not a bright prospect. However, it may mean greater opportunities and I am only 4 years away from the end of the salary scale & also just over 1/2 way up the seniority list. In fact I only have 19 years before I retire! Glad you got Bangawans - I am watching them too but as you suggest one should average in Roans - looks as if one might buy soon at 5/-. Their results have been very good but of course copper is down and 1961 will be dull. Can you let me know the lowest they have been since 1950 and when and what price was copper at that time? Rubber is still going down but this is usual after a boom period such as occurred 59/60. However, well run estates still make profits and the price will rise just as soon as Russia & China come in again as buyers on the Singapore market. They have taken very little for the past nine months. Margo has been busy making the girls' dresses. There is to be a party for twenty odd children on 14th. I have borrowed some films and will do a picture show after the feeding session. Margo is also on a committee for a club children's Xmas party & thinking of our own preparations for the children. I have an AGM of Nobatei - the auditors passed my accounts with no change in the figures, very pleasing. (they were Turquand, Youngs) We have spent this month fund raising and enjoyed a very good dance last Saturday. We are giving a dinner to Acct & his wife on Wed. His sister & husband are out on a 3 week trip from home. So we are not idle at the moment.

Cheerio and love from all of us,
Peter

No comments: