Wednesday, September 1, 2010

15th November 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Adrienne and Caroline have had their party and a successful one too. I had little to do, but there was a great deal of preparation including three dresses which were made for C. A. & S. Baking & cooking & cards &invitations and small gift bags of sweets and presents for twenty two children. I borrowed a projector & cartoon films and provided a show, but as I only arrived halfway through tea I missed most of the excitement. That which I did attend was enough. C & A each had a cake with 4 & 3 candles to blow out and they performed this function with aplomb. They all enjoyed the films which were a good selection and parents (including Lady Goode) arrived at 6.30 to take them off. Then came the opening of presents which I always enjoy - I think we got them to bed by 8. Susan had had a wonderful time too. Margo was exhausted and I felt very tired though I had not done very much.

We have had the first news on the salary changes which are aimed mainly at increased pensions. However, there are a few other small benefits scattered around and for me there is an increase in UK leave pay and a larger bonus in 1962 all of which helps. More important still I have had some details of educational assistance allowed in UK which look very good indeed and I have written to Kent County Council for their scheme. It does not depend on being a rate-payer at home and the allowances for my crew appear to be big.

Duncan Leach is to go on leave in March with his next posting as Accountant Djakarta. He has only been here a year after San Francisco and did not expect an early leave4. So with the Manager retiring in March we shall have two changes in the office. The new "Chief Manager to be" and new Staff Inspector "to be" are visitng us in January -, another item of interest in our small world. Margo took Caroline to a "Ballet" last week. A show put on by the local school - the pupils of which are 5 yrs and upwards. C was thrilled and I can see she will want to be in on it soon. We cannot yet see A in ballet, but hope for an opening in a circus, where she would wonders as a clown or lion-tamer, which ever job is available. It is a little late so will close - have not received your letter so this is an extra one. Thank you though for your card for A & the details of the parcel which promises to be full of good things.

Love from us all
Peter.

No comments: