Wednesday, September 1, 2010

24th December 1960

Written on HSBC Jesselton airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad & Alan,

Thank you for your letter and your wonderful parcel - the records and all the other presents were very well received and will be appreciated for some time to come. The Christmas Tree was surrounded and this morning we were up to our ears in packing paper and string. The girls had a terrific selection of everything one could imagine. The centre pieces being our gifts to C & A being two near full size cradles made at the local wicker work shop & fully decorated and bedded, with large fully clothed dolls. Susan of course immediately too over Adrienne's. In fact the ignored most of her toys at first and concentrated on C & A's. Not because her own were unsatisfactory but she knows she has to fight for her rights and thus acts on this principle on most occasions. I am glad you enjoyed the chocolates even though you even now still persist in giving everything away. You do remember my mentioning that I had sent a box to Dorothy & Donald? and Henry & Hilda and I hope you sent toys to Ian & Emma's children for me. They will think it odd receiving a few chocolates, especially as there are three of you to eat them. Please don't do this in future as I never find it complimentary. However, don't worry I expect they will laugh. We had a terrific lunch to-day and I had the biggest turkey-leg ever. About the size of my arm. I was very full afterwards and we are not having dinner to-night! We are out tomorrow to diner at the Accountant's and hope to spend the day on the beach. It is very hot indeed just now with the thunder about but no rain and this tends to stretch one's nerves a bit. I agree with you about Standards & would get out if the price went up just a bit. On the other hand Leylands are good and their sales are well up even over the last 3 months, so shall just wait and see. Hearn though there might just be a quick small rise in the market in the Spring and I hope to use this for liquidating one or two shares. Anyway, regardless of forcasts here to a Prosperous & Very Happy New Year to you All. May 1961 be one of the Best, Love Margo & Peter & ACES.

(Editor's note. The date on the letter should probably read 25th December as it sounds as if it is Christmas Day as my father writes)

No comments: