Wednesday, September 1, 2010

12th December 1960

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter. I have had an excellent Christmas present in that the bank are to pay children's passages and also all medical expenses. In hard cash this means £300 for the passages this tour plus £36 p.a. at least in my sickness insurance which I can now cancel. I still have Margo's fare to pay home, but that is a lot less than I had planned for - so we are now solvent again. The Kent County Council replyed to my letter and the benefits available for education are considerable so that it would seem that that is well provided for.

It is sad to know Mrs Martin is so ill - please give her my best wishes and Fred too. Elisabeth is trying to move the weaker arm a lot this week and is as bonny as she could be. Because of her greater activity the exercise periods are made more difficult because she is often trying to play about at something else, but of course this in itself is very pleasing. Yes there will be a few parties in the coming weeks and one hopes that they will not be too close together. From past experience they will be. This ought to prove to be my last 1/2 year in Books Dept for some time and I hope to enjoy the next one without the usual balancing dead-lines to keep.

Cheerio for now and lots of love from us all and in case I do not write in time a "Very Happy Christmas" -Peter.

P.S. I am hoping the take-over on Standards will give me my money back there. It was a nice surprise.

No comments: