Tuesday, September 6, 2016

1st December 65

The Hongkong and Shanghai BC
Central PO Box 227
Osaka, Japan

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Thank you for your letter - a long one.  We had noted Richard's daughter in the Telegraph and I had written.  We received a reply soon afterwards and all seems to be well.  I am sure Henry and Hilda will be thrilled.

Elisabeth continues to do well and has achieved the purpose for which she went to the hospital.  That was the continuing desire to walk with crutches.  So much so that she is requesting the sister in charge of that section to help her use only one crutch.  This unfortunately, is not possible at this stage but she must not be discouraged.  She will come home again on 19th Dec and will not go back unless her enthusiasm wanes.  She does not cry when we leave after our Sunday visits.  Only part of her day is spent with with English speaking people and her understanding of Japanese has been rapid.  Of course, everyone makes an immense fuss of her and there is always another child or assistant with her for her perpetual conversation.  She will miss this when she returns.  However, we do find it hard to understand how she has accepted this transition so very well.  She is, as the nuns say, so adult in many ways and they of course are practised with children.  The address, if you would like to send a card is:- Miss E Briggs c/o DAUGHTERS  OF  CHARITY  OF  ST  VINCENT  DE  PAUL, 1620 NISHIHAMA  WAKAYAMA - SHI,  JAPAN.

How wonderful to be young enough to enjoy a slide!  We now ice skate each week.  Margo for the first time in new skates and boots and 3 children too.  They love it.  We last went on Friday.  The hall had been specially hired by the clubs and I did two hours virtually non stop.  A whole rink amongst 40 odd Europeans made a great evening of change and exercise.  Plus the fact that I seem to be able to skate better than I did twenty years ago.

You must see "Sound of Music", this really is a must.  Margo is seeing it for the 3rd time tomorrow.  Men who never go to films are enjoying this one so have hesitation in taking Dad up town for comfort and have a day out with a look round Bond Street.  The latest "PUNCH" gives an interesting description of the shops there.  I think you have found Lake Biwa I enclose a map which should help.  We have been to the places underlined in red, which gives an idea of what one can do in a day although much of the start of the routes in the Kobe Osaka area is thick industrialisation.  See arrow - we intend to go to TOBA for two days when I get a holiday to see the MIKIMOTO pearl fisheries.  SHIRAHAMA is another resort we have our eyes on.  Carruther's is a Deputy Chief Manager (joint) with one other and at the same time is manager of the Hongkong office.  He always struck me as a good type but do not think he will have any effect directly on policy.  He was manager Osaka or Kobe a few years ago and later became manager Tokyo, arriving in Hongkong whist I was there.

Never a dull moment.  I have the Staff Controller staying 6th and 7th and am giving a party, officers and wives of the Osaka and Kobe offices as well as Mercantile Bk 28 in all.  There will be lunches as well and in between one supposes - business.  We gave a business dinner party on Saturday - 16 people -which appeared successful as they did not leave until well after 12 am and most had a long drive.  I was congratulated on my brandy by a Swiss/Italian gentleman and there was little food left out of one turkey and a good round of cold beef.  I have a local staff party - staff only, no wives, at ROYAL HOTEL on Friday and have the duty of presenting prizes and making a speech.  Things are hotting up as Margo is now planning the Christmas Day lunch (I will be in the office in the morning) and once I know the new manager's definite date, he is due on 3rd Feb, I will be arranging a party for 200 in Kobe Club.  It must seem a round of festivity but business is done and it is all worth while.  Actually, a casual chat in the train led to what could develop into big things in a year or sos time.

I forgot to mention a St Andrew's night last night, a dinner aboard a ship on 16th.  A Chamber of Commerce lunch and one for the Japan - British Soey (? can not read this last word).  It will remain to be seen how popular I am when I step down to second place.  One should never forget this aspect.

The weather is cold enough for me to be in hat gloves and coat but we have oysters to compensate and this evening a bowl of strawberries! (3/-) so for the moment all is well - in Japan this is not permanent and things can look quite black tomorrow.  In fact I think the share market is due to go right down.  I wish I knew what to watch for - I cannot make up my mind between a high yield tax free gilt edge/Investment Trusts?or say BMC -Marks and S - Gratton Warehouse on low prices.

Well on that note I sign off.  We have ordered your presents so hope they arrive OK.  Will buy the records from Alan as I am getting Caroline a battery record player.

Love from us all, Peter xxxxxx

No comments: