Monday, January 5, 2009

7th August, 1951

Written on The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Penang airmail letter.

Dear Mum, Dad and Alan,

Many thanks for your letter of 3rd. So you don't like my facial adornment? Lucky you mentioned it as I was just going to grow a beard! Alright, I'll cut it off though shall miss it very much. It was very useful while it lasted and often served to frighten our constituents into submission - now I shall have to rely merely on personality to stop them asking for a temporary overdraft at the beginning of the month.

I expect it was amusing to see Fiona's first few steps - though she taken to savouries (the cheese) very quickly.

Am balancing to-night and have completed my "test ledgers" I do a surprise take out once a week. So far everything is going almost too well. I split seven ledges into fourteen and if they all balance to-night it will mean that all the new entries have been correct. The main difficulty of course was to convince the clerks that a smaller sized ledger was easier to balance - anyhow they appear to have accepted the idea and future weeks will prove the point. The clerks are most conservative and new ideas are never welcome and when first mooted a small rebellion breaks out. This happens about once per month and I have now got used to the idea and always approach with caution. They always give way of course though they might prove troublesome should you back down on a decision once take.

Am glad Alan is "tooting" again. Am sure a spot of music will help in between mathematical problems - its a sure way to relax.

(End of letter is missing)

No comments: