Monday, December 19, 2022

23rd June 1970

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation

Johore Bahru

West Malaysia

Dear Mum and Dad,

Just a note to let you know that the girls will be leaving on July 16th on flight BA 798 at 15.45 (3.45hrs) from Heathrow.  So I imagine that they will leave Victoria about 2.30pm.

I came out of hospital last Monday & feel much better but have to take life easily.  We have a driver now & will keep him on at least until after the girls go back.  The hospital was very comfortable & I had an air conditioned room with private bathroom.  The nurses were so nice & I was very thankful that I wasn't in the Johore General hospital!  The only trouble with Gleneagles is that is such a long way for Peter to come but he had the driver so it wasn't too bad.

Elisabeth tells us that you visited her last week - she says it is colder now - but I believe it has been very hot.

Peter & I woke at 6.30am on Friday (midnight for you) as the Forces network was relaying the election results.  It was so exciting that I sat glued to the radio - ringing Peter every hour with the latest results.  Everyone here is elated especially the local Malaysia & Singapore Governments - but of course it is not going to be easy although I have a suspicion that Edward Heath may have more than one has been led to expect.  We shall see! - anyway they couldn't be any worse than Labour whom I felt were turning the UK into a left-wing state.  I've found it more & more depressing each time I've gone home.  It was such a contrast to Singapore where National pride is so noticeable with everyone striving to make a clean city.  (Hippies are banned in Spo & Malaysia) where everything seems so go-ahead - no strikes because the Unions know it will ruin the economy.  (Editor - Feeling a little disquiet at these right wing views knowing what I now know about Singapore!)

No more news

Love M & P


No comments: