Monday, September 4, 2017

3rd September

Written on HSBC air letter from Kowloon branch

Dear Mum Dad and Alan,

Thank you very much for your letter and for Adrienne's letter included.  Have had my first tape from Margo so am now up with all the news and everything seems to be in order.  The car has been delivered and although it is a different make to the Fords which we are used to it has all the room we wanted.  My voice does sound different these days.  I put it down to the everyday endeavour to make oneself understood by people who do not understand English very well and no doubt would revert to normal pretty quickly when home again.  My second tape will be in Dover by now and a third goes off on Monday.  It does carry a lot but it is useful to talk into each day when something occurs & of course it does not have to be full.

All the children spoke well and it is nice to hear their voices.

Cheerio for now and love Peter


Adrienne's letter to dad is included in the letters kept by my grandmother.  Ady was 9 and we were all at St Margaret's, Folkestone except for Liz.  The school closed down after the autumn term!

Dear Daddy,

I hope you are having a nice time in Kowloon I am sure you are.  I am having a nice time here and I have made a lot of friends here too.  I know how to strip my bed and make it very quickly.

I am getting along very well and mummy sent me two letters already.  Mummy says that she doesn't know when Elizabeth is going to hospital so Elizabeth might go to a special school and might even be a boarder.  Well I am going to get on with my work and if you want to know what class I am in I am in Remove.

Love
from
Adrienne

No comments: