Tuesday, September 5, 2017

27th November 1967

The Hongkong and Shanghai Bank
PO Box 5986 Kowloon HK

27th November 1967

Dear Mum and Dad,

Thank you for your letter.  I am enclosing a batch of prints after keeping one or two for myself.  If you could pick one for framing for me to have when I come home - out of the official photos that will be fine.  I do not think these will enlarge anymore.  Glad you saw Elisabeth.  I have her on tape from the hospital and she is obviously as full of beans as ever.  Yes - I heard about the letters E had written and am not hopeful of their arrival, but she does try.  This devaluation has given us a week.  We devalued with Sterling on Monday and on Wednesday revalued 10%.  So there has been some confusion.  Luckily I had kept half my cash in San Francisco which is cushioned the effect and now hope that gold does not appreciate for a while anyway.  I have to stay liquid until after leave until I see what I need to spend but meanwhile 6 1/2 / 5 1/2 % free of tax partially offsets interest on borrowing in London.  The computer course was full of interest and very concentrated & worthwhile.  However, they are only as good as the people who use them so it is up to us to use them to the best advantage.  At least that was the theme - to prepare us for a lot of work during the next year or so.  I think we will manage the violin for Adrienne.  I recognize the risk that it will be discarded but if she does have music in her, then I would not wish the chance to be lost.  She is the only one who can sing in tune & one out of four should be musical - I hope.  Glad Alan and Diana are OK - I will write soon.  Ian Macleod is off on Friday which seems to bring my leave much nearer.  I trust you are not sending me anything out for Christmas - you can save up for my birthday instead!  I have sent yours through the main order people but now have a though that I may have duplicated a previous gift to Dad - however you will let me know.  It was our wedding anniversary on 20th - 13 years completed & half way to the silver -.

Cheerio for now and love

Peter
xxx

No comments: